The joint research was led by the China CDC and completed by a group of 29 agencies and organizations. The project won the first prize at the National Science and Technology Awards in 2014.
1. China achieved effective intervention and control over an influenza pandemic for the first time in human history by accurately understanding the epidemic situation and adjusting in a timely manner the national prevention and control strategy.
2. China was the first country in the world to successfully develop a new diagnostic reagent for influenza A (H1N1) virus and quickly shared it all over the world.
3. The research was able to demonstrate that early in the pandemic (when the basic transmission coefficient (R0) was 1.3-1.5), taking measures such as medical isolation could delay its spread, thereby making it unnecessary for China to declare a "public health emergency".
4. The diagnosis and treatment of influenza A (H1N1) virus in China was at the most advanced level in the world. China was the first country to systematically reveal the clinical features and patterns of the new H1N1 virus. It built the world's largest clinical database of H1N1 virus cases and was the first country to declare a new treatment plan for severe H1N1 symptoms, which significantly reduced the fatality rate.
5. Major breakthroughs have been made in the treatment of H1N1 flu with traditional Chinese medicine.
6. China became the first country to successfully develop a new H1N1 vaccine.
7. A total of 105 million people have been vaccinated nationwide, and the world's largest H1N1 vaccine safety monitoring system covering 70 million people has been established.8. The crystal structures of the NA and HA of the H1N1 virus were successfully analyzed for the first time.
Ninety SCI papers were published as a result of the research; three won first prizes for science and technology at the provincial and ministerial level. Meanwhile, the WHO designated the Chinese National Influenza Center as the first WHO global reference and research center for influenza in a developing country.
Copyright©2023 China Daily. All rights reserved.